Over the years, a number of supplementary techniques have been utilized in an effort to make traditional liposuction an even more successful and rewarding procedure. While many techniques yield varying results and potential drawbacks, one innovation consistently provides patients with a better overall liposuction experience. Namely, tumescent liposuction facilitates an easier procedure for the surgeon, thereby improving a patient’s results and ensuing recovery.
At our Milwaukee plastic surgery center, we want to meet your expectations for smoother, tighter body contours. We therefore offer tumescent liposuction as a way to further enhance your procedure. Take a moment to learn about what tumescent liposuction is and how it may benefit you.
Liposuction with Tumescent Solution
Liposuction is traditionally performed with a thin tube called a cannula, which is used to separate excess fat from the body before removing it via suction. Although other types of liposuction may use alternative methods of fat separation, such as ultrasound-assisted liposuction and SmartLipo, the process always entails these two basic steps. With the addition of a tumescent solution, all facets of the process are significantly aided.
Tumescent solution comprises a mixture of local anesthesia and epinephrine. Together, these chemicals numb the area, temporarily constrict blood cells, and cause nearby fat tissue to swell. In addition to a patient’s comfort during and following surgery, these effects also help the surgeon sculpt the body. The solution is simply injected into the area prior to liposuction, and its effects will gradually recede after the procedure is over.
The Benefits of Tumescent Liposuction
Whether you are seeking a regular liposuction procedure or one aided by additional technology, there is rarely an instance where tumescent solution cannot help. In fact, many liposuction techniques require tumescence in order to be reliably safe and effective. The specific benefits of tumescent liposuction include:
- Reduced bleeding: Constricted blood cells result in far less bleeding during surgery. Patients often do not require any IV fluid replacement during the procedure and subsequently experience less bleeding and bruising during recovery.
- Reduced swelling: Tumescence promotes better fluid passage and drainage immediately after surgery, meaning less post-operative swelling and a quicker overall timeline for recovery.
- Increased comfort: Anesthesia and epinephrine work synergistically to drastically limit any pain or discomfort during surgery. This also allows some patients to forgo general anesthesia and its common aftereffects.
- Increased surgical control: By swelling the area of surgery, tumescence helps surgeons sculpt the area accurately, creating better contours and reducing tissue damage.
The Tumescent Liposuction Procedure
The addition of tumescent solution does not greatly alter the liposuction process. In fact, unless patients are informed about the injection and are actively awaiting it, it may easily go unnoticed. If you plan to undergo tumescent liposuction, you can expect a procedure as follows:
- First, a preliminary local anesthetic will be used to numb the area for the injection and incisions.
- One or more incisions will be made in the area in order to manipulate and remove subcutaneous fat.
- The tumescent solution will be injected directly into fat, causing it to become swollen and firm.
- The cannula will be used to break apart unwanted fat from adjacent tissue, remove separated fat, and contour remaining fatty tissue.
- Once the contouring is complete, the cannula will be removed, the incisions will be closed, and drainage tubes may be temporarily inserted to promote recovery.
Although the method of liposuction itself may vary, depending on any additional techniques used, all tumescent procedures are considered safe. Most patients seeking liposuction are also excellent candidates for the tumescent technique, assuming they are not allergic to the anesthetic or have negative interactions with other medications. To gain a clearer perspective on whether tumescent liposuction is right for you, schedule a consultation with us.
Contact Us Today
We are happy to answer any questions or address any concerns about our body contouring procedures. If you would like to consult Dr. McCall regarding your own cosmetic goals, call us today to schedule an appointment.